Culinary Skills

Cooking is undoubtedly an art which requires a lot of intuition besides everything else. Here, on this blog, I will share my style of cooking which I have learnt from many sources.

So, here I am inviting all my friends and other people around the globe to share their recipes and cooking tips. And I promise that its going to be an exciting journey.

Friday, December 14, 2007

Spaghetti with garlic and red chilly flakes

I ate this spaghetti first time when I was in St Petersburg. Being a vegetarian pushed us to look for Italian restaurants and we came across this place with this wonderful spaghetti and i instantly fell in love with it. I can never forget the tremendous taste. Since then I have tried to make it many a times and have recently achieved nearly the same taste.
I read somewhere about the importance of garlic in food. Besides being healthy, it gives wonderful taste to the food. There are basically three types of garlic-
American garlic, which is white skinned and has the strongest flavor.
Italian garlic, which has mauve colored skin and is more mild flavored.
Elephant garlic which is huge and has the mildest flavor of the three.
When choosing, look for firm heads with dry skins that feel heavy for their size. Stay away from any that are shriveled, brittle, turning yellow or comes in a jar already cut up. And definitely garlic powder is no substitute for the real garlic.


Ingredients-
  • 1 pound dried spaghetti,
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, plus more if desired
  • 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • freshly ground black pepper corns
  1. In a large pot, bring to boil spaghetti in the salted water. Cook until done, for about 6 to 8 minutes.
  2. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil and garlic over medium heat in a heavy saucepan until the garlic begins to turn pale gold. (Please, take the time to smell the cooking garlic and oil). It's important not too burn the garlic or else it will become bitter. Also, add the red pepper flakes and saute for 1 minute.
  3. Remove the pan from the heat and add 3/4 of the parsley, salt & pepper to taste.
  4. Meanwhile, quickly drain the spaghetti in the colander.
  5. Place the spaghetti into the pan and mix well for 1 minute until spaghetti is well-coated.
  6. Serve in warmed plates and use the remaining parsley to garnish and serve immediately.

No comments: